Dear Hortie

Dear Hortie
Sample letter from Ora to Hortie, Dec 6 1880

Thursday, April 15, 2010

February 18, 1877

                                                                                   Danville, Feb the 18, 1877

Dear Horty


I sit down this afternoon to write you a few lines as there is no one at home to write for me I will have to do my own writing. Ora went up to Indianapolis on the 8th and Annie went out the next day and I have been alone ever since. I have never been well since you started away. You remember it was snowing when you left? I walked to the depot without any over shoes and exposed myself. I have hardly seen a well day since. I am taking medicine now for my cough but it does not seem to relieve me very much.


Eddie and Bart go every day to school. Eddie improves very fast. Richard and Annie are still in the country, yet they both are very tired. Pa is very well and has rented the land all out except what Richard and another hand will tend.


Aunt Mary’s folks are not much more sociable then when you were there, they are so jealous of us and get mad at everything. I have not been there since you left.


Horty I don’t think Mrs. Coe’s chickens are good enough to send you a pair of them. We are going to send a pair as soon as Pa can find a pair to suit. Have you gotten Julia a dress yet, let us know. Ora says for you to wait a little and we will send a box of clothes for her.


I was over to George’s mother’s one evening last week, it was the first time I’d seen her since you went away. Lool does not go to school anymore. I suppose you have heard that Sam is married, he was not free very long, his birthday was on the 10th and he was married on the 15th. He is boarding at the Centennial, they are going to Iowa on a Bridal Trip, starts on Tuesday.


It seems like I cannot sell your table, instead I will send you a couple of dollars now and the rest again. We don’t need the table but I expect you need the money.


We would all like to see dear little Julia so much, Horty I feel glad to know you like the place, I would feel so distressed to hear you was not satisfied.
                                                                                                    Your Mother.



P.S. I do hope you and George will get along. There is a great many things you will have to deny yourselves of in a new county, but I hope you will live through it all. I often think of you so far away, my love to both.

No comments:

Post a Comment