Dear Hortie

Dear Hortie
Sample letter from Ora to Hortie, Dec 6 1880

Saturday, April 17, 2010

June 15, 1879

                                                                         Home Sunday     June 15 1879

Dear Horty



I sit down this afternoon to write you a few lines. It is quite an effort for me to write any more, I put it off so much. Both Bart and Annie are sick this summer, but Richard wrote us to say that his health is good, which is a relief to me. Annie is so sick that she is not able some times to do her work, she feels so discouraged with herself.


We have a very big cow now, it takes all the men to milk her, she is so wild. Your heifer is so gentle, Bart milks her. We get so much milk, we have the part of the kitchen that was over the well boarded up for a milk house. Ora and me have a good deal to do. It takes up so much of my time tending to the chickens we have so many I will send George some this fall.


Your Father talks of going some where this summer but has not yet decided where. We miss the children so much, I was so lonesome when you left. We will send your carpet this week I will send you the hall carpet if you can use it for a bedroom. Tell Julia to come and stay with us a while. Bart talks about her so much. Eddie is such a good boy I do not know how we would do with out him. I believe I have written all I can think of at this time. I hope Ora is better I think as soon as she walks she will not be so much trouble.
                                                                                              Good bye from your
                                                                               Mother


Horty here is one dollar did you get the other dollar I sent you? Mrs. Collins has not paid yet, when she does I will send it.

No comments:

Post a Comment